Legal Department

Tort Claim Forms

Filing a Tort Claim

Pursuant to Indiana law, a claim or suit in tort is barred unless notice is filed with the City of Lawrence within 180 days of your alleged loss. You may make a claim in writing pursuant to Ind. Code § 34-13-3 or print and complete the Notice of Tort Claim form below, including any police reports, photographs, receipts, estimates, or other documentation that supports your claim.

Once completed, the form and documentation can only be sent via either certified or registered mail OR hand-delivered to: Mayor's Office, City Attorney - 9001 E. 59th St. #301 Lawrence, IN 46216 . We will submit your claim to the City’s insurance carrier for resolution. You are encouraged to consult with your own legal counsel regarding this matter.


Tort Claims