Department of Public Works

Building Department

Building Department provides plan reviews and issues permits for all commercial, industrial and residential construction; performs building inspection to help comply with building codes.

Listed below are some of the most common permits and licenses.  Please visit or call our office at 317-545-8787 for the proper forms and fee information for your project.

OWNER-BUILDER - Property Owners can start applying for permits directly, if they are planning to do work themselves or hire their own contractors. Please see our helpful guides know the different OWNER BUILDER TYPES as well as benefits and risks.

Remodeling or adding improvements to your home?

Please see our helpful guides here to assist you in completing this work safely and in compliance with applicable building standards. If you have any questions, please contact the permits division at the Department of Public Works by calling 317-545-8787 or by email to



Application Forms

Water & Sanitary Sewer Permits

How To's