Kathy Walton, the elected city clerk and a resident of Lawrence for more than 50 years, she has served the city for nearly 20 years. She brings more than 35 years of records and financial management to the clerk’s office. Kathy also serves as the recording secretary to the Common Council and Board of Works. She is the only clerk in Indiana who earned the master municipal clerk certification in 2016, which is an international distinction and achievement. Kathy is a 1973 graduate of Lawrence Central and she earned her B.S. in Business Administration from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in 1978. Kathy resides in Lawrence with her husband and is the proud grandmother of two granddaughters and two grandsons.
Walton has served for 20 years & keeps the city's historical documents
- Manages and secures city records
- Conducts research and assists others in obtaining information that supports public safety, economic development (including coordination with the Marion County Department of Metropolitan Development on land-use issues) and other city functions
- Responds to requests for public information from citizens, business owners, public-interest groups, the news media, directors of city departments, city employees, community organizations and representatives of township, county and state governments
- Maintains city ordinances and the minutes of the Common Council and Board of Works
- Maintains the Municipal Code
- Secures the city seal
- Assists in the development of policies, ordinances and other legislation through the Common Council, committees of the Common Council, the Board of Public Works, the Board of Parks & Recreation, the Fire Merit Commission, the Fire Pension Board, the Police Merit Commission and the Police Pension Board
- Maintains the official minutes and records of city boards, commissions, and council
Ms. Walton is available to answer your questions and assist you in gathering information about living and working in Lawrence. She can be reached at
317-549-8670 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To make a public records request, please use this form.